"Exploring the High Country Grand Retreats"
September 4-7, 2014
3 night’s accommodations in Chetola Lodge, hiking, birding, journaling, watercolor painting, sunrise photography and fly fishing, interspersed with great food and Appalachian music will make this Blue Ridge Parkway weekend a memorable adventure.
An intriguing “Behind the Scenes” tour of Flat Top Manor and the Moses Cone Estate will be enhanced by naturalist led hikes. Special features include canoeing on Price Lake, lakeside dining, fireside storytelling and special guest speaker, Philip Noblitt, author of A Mansion in the Mountains.
April 20 - November 20, 2012
$695 per person, double occupancy
$395 per child under 12 (staying in same room as parents)
Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation
866-308-2773 Ext. 305
Thursday, September 4, 2014
Arrival and Check in at Chetola Resort
- 5:30 pm: Icebreaker Reception at Chetola. Cash Bar
- 6:30 pm: Dinner at Chetola featuring special speaker Phil Noblitt, author of A Mansion in the Mountains.
Friday, September 5, 2014
- 6:30-7:30 am: “Wake Up with the Birds” - Sunrise optional morning bird hike.
- 7:30-8:45 am: Breakfast in Timberlake’s Restaurant at your leisure.
- 9 am – Noon: Activities with Ranger Tina White “Traveling through Time with Moses Cone”
Experience a “behind-the-scene” tour of Flat Top Manor (Moses Cone home that includes areas not open to the general public. Flat Top Manor was built by textile entrepreneur and conservationist Moses Cone and his wife Bertha in 1901. The mansion sits at about 4500 feet elevation and receives about 250,000 visitors per year.
- Noon: Lunch on the porch at the Cone Estate.
- 1 pm – 4:30 pm: Enjoy a visit to the Flat Top Fire Tower and Moses Cone Cemetery. The 360 degree view at the tower is exceptional, looking out at Grandfather Mountain, Sugar Mountain, Blowing Rock and Boone.
- 4:30 pm: Return to Chetola. Free time to relax, get an optional spa treatment or enjoy shopping in downtown Blowing Rock.
- 6:30 pm: Dinner at Chetola
- 8:00 pm: Fireside and storytelling.
Saturday, September 6, 2014
- 6:30 – 8:00/8:30 am: Sunrise photography on the Parkway
Join our Parkway naturalists and professional photographer, Vicki Dameron, for breathtaking photo opportunities of incomparable vistas.
- 8:00/8:30-9:00 am: Breakfast at Chetola
- 9:15 am: Depart for Price Lake Picnic Area
- 9:30-11:30 am: Naturalist Hike along Hebron Falls Trail.
- Noon to 1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00 pm-3 pm: Nature sketching at picturesque locations. All supplies provided.
- 3:30-5:00 pm: Guided canoe/kayak trip or hike at Price Lake. Pre-registration is required for canoes/kayaks.
- 5:30-6:45 pm: Fly fishing 101 with Broaddus. Chetola Lake.
- 7:00 pm:Dinner on the Arbor overlooking Chetola Lake. Appalachian music.
Sunday, September 7, 2014
- 8:30 am-10:00 am: Breakfast and discussions with Mark Woods, Superintendent of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Check out and departure.